After three years and 145 mixes + features with MIG, it’s time for the next part of the FatKidOnFire story.
As it happens, I’ve talked to Olie Bassweight before – following the tried and tested MIG x FKOF feature formula.
For the launch of the new FKOF feature series, which I’ve imaginatively titled ‘FatKidOnFire Presents…’ I decided to rethink how we go about interviews here on FKOF – and, seeing as I’ve never managed to land a mix from New Zealand’s dubstep godfather, I invited Olie back to these here pages for the inauguration.
So here it is: FatKidOnFire Presents #1 – Olie Bassweight…
Easy Olie! How’s your day going? I’ve had a very interesting day today…
Who are your inspirations (not necessarily musical)? Lhamo Dondrub, Bill Hicks, Hunter S. Thompson, George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philip K Dick, Kurt Cobain, James Maynard, Julian Assange, Zak De la rocha, Mumia Abu Jamal, Richard Linklater, Saul Williams, Allan Watts, Che Guevara, Bradley Manning, Arthur Koestler, Thich Quang Duc, Bruce Lee, Sidatha Guatama, Mohammed The Prophet, Johann Most, Noam Chomsky, Krishna, Haile Selassie, Jesus of Nazereth, Timothy Leary, Lao Tzu, Don Juan, the planet Earth, the universe, lysergsäurediethylamid and tetrahydrocannabinol.
Disclaimer: the religious figures I’ve mentioned are purely in there because I take heed of their own individual messages; not the institutions that have built themselves around what they may or may not have said (if they ever even existed).
I want to do a quick round of word association with you. First word in your head when you see:
– Dubstep: bleweoqhdijbwkjefbakwejfbqkwjbfaksf
– Bassweight: facegate
– Internet: shimnternet
– SoundCloud: shoumndcrorled.
Thanks for those. Of your production setup, which item could you not live without? Well I reckon, as I write music on computers, it would be pretty darn hard for me to write a tune without that piece of equipment… I would be left holding in my dick in more ways than one.
What music did you grow up listening to? Where’s the link to 140/ dubstep? I got into electronic music really young and sort of got quite addicted to it. I did listen to a lot of hip-hop and rock as well but electronic music has been my ting for quite some time… The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Armand van Helden and some super cheesy Gatecrasher compilations are all in my sordid music appreciation past. There’s also early jungle and DnB like Source Direct, Ed Rush, Trace, Photek, Dillinjah… I took all these things and in lots of ways they become a part of me and my own journey.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I really want to live in Berlin! I hear it’s awesome, cheap and fun. One day I’ll make it over. It seems to me that my particular style of music is losing its popularity in my home country right now – but I’m not giving up yet!
If you could collaborate with any musician, dead or alive, who and why? Pythagoras. Why? Because it would be FKOFin’ awesome to show him what’s happend since he left us.
Running a record label. Is it something you’d recommend? If you write good music, you should have an outlet for that music – to get it to the world in whatever way possible. If that means starting a label, go for it!
Hell, I run 3 of them. But it’s lots of work (and money). If you don’t write music but want to help release music you appreciate, take heed. The industry is a savage beast that is hard to tame, so unless music is your life I wouldn’t recommend it!
What are your thoughts on remixes and VIPs being released on albums? Well obviously I think it’s fine as my last album had a remix and a VIP on it!
I think it’s all good; if it fits with the ethos and sound of the record, then why not?
What was your first musical purchase? ‘Funky Town‘ by Pseudo Echo – on cassingle!
Click to DOWNLOAD
1. Distance – Fallen (Olie Bassweight remix) [dub]
2. Truth – Iron Lung [dub]
3. Mesck & Deco – Clear Depth [dub]
4. Olie Bassweight & Mishva – Golem [Bassweight dub]
5. Olie Bassweight & Dubfonik ft. Dmg Mc – The Message [Bassweight]
6. Chewie – Solace [Bassweight dub]
7. Mishva – Execution [Bassweight dub]
8. Dubtek – Survival [dub]
— Core Feat. Jamakabi – Civil War [Aquatic Lab]
9. Sleeper & District – The Risk [Osiris]
10. Olie Bassweight – Float VIP [Bassweight]
11. Daega Sound – Fonica [Crude]
12. Kial – Transistion Of Perspective (Klax remix) [dub]
13. Seven – Walter White [Uprise Audio dub]
14. Perverse – Echolocation [New Moon]
15. Untitled – Untitled [???? dub]
16. Olie Bassweight – Odyssey [Bassweight]
17. Youngsta – Momentum [dub]
18. Untitled – Untitled [???? dub]
19. Deafblind & Mesck – Strife [dub]
20. Kelly Dean – Samurai (District remix) [Smog]
21. Dj Madd – The Life You Chose (Distance remix) [Black Box]
22. Olie Bassweight, Perverse & TZR – Condemned [Bassweight]
23. Olie Bassweight & Getafix – Getaweight [Waking Life dub]